Degree Requirements for International Graduate Students (including students from Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan) enrolled in School of Public Affairs at Xiamen University
The Degree committee in School of Public Affairs at Xiamen University recognizes the different disciplinary characteristics and imposes the following requirements for international graduate students to receive a graduate degree from School of Public Affairs at Xiamen University:
1. The publication requirements for degree for international graduate students (including students from Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan)
1) To receive a doctoral degree, international doctoral candidates are required to publish an article in academic journals or present an academic article in international conferences.
2) To receive a master’s degree, international master’s students must fulfill one of the following requirements:
a) Publish an article (generally no less than 3000 words) which is related to one’s master’s thesis as the first author affiliated with Xiamen University in academic journals (journals must be a quality journal with International Standard Serial Number ISSN)
b) Participate in writing textbooks, monographs or paper collections that have been formally published and are relevant to one’s major (generally no less than 7000 words).
c) Participate in major-related research or instructional research projects, and participate in writing research reports that have been verified by relevant committees (generally no less than 7000 words).
d) Won the prizes in Challenge Cup or other province-level or state-level research competitions.
3) International graduate students could graduate from the programs on time and receive graduate certificates once they have completed all the required course works in the study plan with passed grades, have received a minimum required credits, and have successfully defended their theses. However, a degree will not be conferred if the international students have not met the publication requirements.
a) Master’s students must submit a master’s degree conferment application to the Degree Committee in Graduate School once they have met the publication requirements for degree within two years of thesis defense, or a waiver will be deemed.
b) Doctoral students must submit a doctoral degree conferment application to the Degree Committee in Graduate School once they have met the publication requirements for degree within three years of thesis defense, or a waiver will be deemed.
2. The Established Core Journals
The verification of core journals is according to the most recent versions of “The Overview of Chinese Core Journals” and “The Catalogue of Core Academic Journals in Xiamen University” released by Graduate School at Xiamen University. The old version will be in effect within a year of a new version is released.
3. This regulation is complementary to “The Regulations of Degree Conferment for Master’s and Doctoral Degrees of Xiamen University”. International graduate students who are enrolled since 2008 will be required to meet the degree requirements imposed in this regulation.